UV-BIRDERS Archives

March 2010, Week 3

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
"David A. Merker" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David A. Merker
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 2010 07:55:10 -0400
Chickadees are amazing little birds in lots of ways. How many do you think you have at your feeders? Maybe 10, maybe 20?

I had 2 undergrads from UNH banding at my feeders Sunday and Monday. They banded 48 newly banded chickadees and recaptured 5 previously banded (at least 1 year ago). 1 was banded back in 06. We were still able to see 2-3 unbanded chickadees coming in for seeds.
Who would have guessed that there were so many individuals?  You may have more than you think!

Also banded were pairs of both nuthatches, pairs of both Downy and Hairy woodpeckers, 2 goldfinch, a dove, a junco and a few redwings.

David Merker, B.S., M.A.
Recruitment Services
Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center
603-653-0435