UV-BIRDERS Archives

January 2010, Week 3

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Jan 2010 14:55:13 -0500
This morning Ed Hack and I looked for birds in Norwich. Highlights
included 29 Mallards off Kendall Station Road, an adult Bald Eagle
flying over Norwich and seen from Campbell Flats Road not far south of
the Thetford line, a flying Cooper's Hawk seen from the intersection
of Main Street and Koch Road, and 12 Cedar Waxwings along Campbell
Flats Road. Some of the waxwings were flying out and back and were
apparently hawking insects along the side of a house. We couldn't see
insects at a distance through binoculars, but cluster flies might have
been the prey on this sunny day with temperatures well above freezing.

Because House Sparrows are now quite local in their Norwich
distribution, the presence this morning of 15 at a farm along Kerwin
Hill Road was notable.

Prior to 2007 House Sparrows were regular along Main Street in the
village section of Norwich, and nest material could be seen protruding
from attic ventilation openings on a prominent building. A remodeling
narrowed the openings and thus blocked entry of House Sparrows. Since
then only an occasional individual of this species has been reported
from the vicinity of Main Street. Farms with livestock now seem to
present the locations most favorable for finding this species in the
town, but a number of such farms apparently lack House Sparrows.

The Bald Eagle, Cedar Waxwings, and House Sparrows of today were my
first sightings of these species in Norwich during 2010.

George

George Clark
Norwich, VT