UV-BIRDERS Archives

April 2013, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 2013 21:33:07 -0400
George Clark, Ed Hack and I found a male Ruddy Duck at Lake Runnemede
this morning.  The bird is not yet in full breeding plumage, but it's
striking nonetheless.  It was diving among a flock of ~25 Ring-necked
Ducks and a pair of Scaup, the female of which we agreed with little
doubt was a Lesser.  The male was challenging, as its head didn't have
nearly the peaked look of the female's, but seemed more distinctly
crowned (i.e., not as low and flat-topped) as we thought a Greater's
should be.   If anyone else gets down there and sees these birds, we'd
like to hear other opinions!

An Osprey was the only other bird of real note at Runnemede.  On the way
back north, I swung by Lake Pinneo, which is now completely ice-free.
There were 30 Hoodeds, 40 Commons Mergansers, 3 Ring-necked Ducks, and a
single adult Ring-billed Gull.

At Deweys Pond (~70% ice-free), 3 Am. Black Ducks, 5 Wood Ducks, 2
Blue-winged Teal, 5 Green-winged Teal, 3 Ring-necked Ducks.

Two sapsuckers drumming at home in Norwich this morning.

Chris

--
Chris Rimmer
Vermont Center for Ecostudies