UV-BIRDERS Archives

July 2014, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Date:
Mon, 7 Jul 2014 21:16:48 +0000
    This year an E. Phoebe decided to build her nest on top of a shutter which was under a short roof from my deck.
I noticed some mud and moss plastered to the wall.  Some of the nest material was on a skimmer lying beneath on the ground.
     I decided she needed some human help.   I made a support from the bottom of a gal. plastic milk jug.  I left two strips approx. 4 in. long on each side.  I slid the base under the future nest on the wall.  I tapped the strips to the wall with silver Duck tape.  I found a piece of flat metal and slid that under the plastic base for further support.
    I then placed the nest material on the ground on the new base.
    She continued to build the nest and several days later there were 3 then 5 eggs.
    Days latter they were feeding the fuzzy little heads.
     On Sunday , June 29th,  was first flight day.
    I have left the nest intact.  I hope she will have a second brood.
    So glad I was able to help.

   J. Barton
   Enfield Center.