UV-BIRDERS Archives

July 2008, Week 5

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Erin Hanrahan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Erin Hanrahan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2008 15:32:52 -0400
Hi,
I'm a beginning birder and am wondering whether it's possible that I saw a
shiny cowbird in Hanover this week. The bird I saw was in a large bush along
Rip Road (a residential neighborhood). I didn't hear it call, but the first thing I
noticed was its deep purple color and darker black wings. It looked
substantially smaller than a grackle and had a slender black beak and tail. It
sat horizontally on a branch for a few moments and then flew deeper into the
bush.

The only picture in my Peterson guide that really resembles what I saw is the
shiny cowbird, but the book says these birds are only beginning to spread in
North America. Does anyone know whether they have been spotted in this
area? Are there other similar-looking birds that I'm overlooking?
Thanks for any help,
Erin