UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2008, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Julie Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Julie Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 May 2008 09:51:06 -0400
I went looking for the Golden-winged Warbler on Tucker Hill in Norwich
this morning. No luck finding it, but it was a lovely spot to listen to
morning bird song. Wood Thrush, Scarlet Tanager, dueling orioles, and a
Chestnut-sided flight display were the highlights for me. Be sure to do
a once over for ticks afterwards. I had a wood tick on me when I got
back to my car.

Also of note, I did the Hartland Whip-poor-will survey early Monday
morning. The Whip-poor-will is back on the N Hartland dam and was
singing constantly at 2:50am. I heard distant Whip-poor-wills singing at
3 other stops along the route (Clay Hill and Hartland-Quechee Roads),
but I think there were at most 2 birds singing in total based on what I
heard and plotting the points in Google Earth to look at the terrain.

Glad to hear the abundance of Veerys in my yard when I returned from a
weekend trip to the Adirondacks Sunday evening.

Good birding,
-Julie

--
Julie Hart