UV-BIRDERS Archives

March 2008, Week 5

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
george a clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
george a clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Mar 2008 16:19:17 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from kurt.gott ---

>Date: 31 Mar 2008 13:41:27 -0400
>From: kurt.gott
>Subject: [New England TWS] bird survey techs needed for Hubbard Brook

Hello all, message from the Upper Valley Conservation Network.

Kurt
UVCN

--- Forwarded message from "James D Oehler" ---

We still need two field techs. to work on the Hubbard Brook valley-wide
survey crew. I've reposted my job ad multiple times, but the candidates
this year frankly lack the hard-core, bushwhacking, bird-IDing,
Bicknell's Thrush-coveting ethos that I crave. Do you know anyone who
might be interested in this job?

The ideal candidate would be enthusiastic, have previous point count
experience, know New England forest birds by sight and sound, scoff at
blackflies, and live for hiking through the White Mountains. However, we
have a 7 day training session before the surveys begin, so people who
are a bit rusty with New England birds and/or point count methods could
be brought up to speed. Also, we have REU funds for one uber-motivated
Freshman, Sophomore, or Junior undergrad and an independent study
project that involves beta testing a remote bird recording system (built
by MacGyver, aka Nick Rodenhouse). This REU project would be a great
match with the valley-wide project, i.e. an undergrad could be part of
the survey crew and help with the project on the side.

Please have any interested candidates send me their CVs and names and
phone numbers of two references.

Thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Scott Sillett
Smithsonian Migratory Bird Center
National Zoological Park
PO Box 37012 MRC 5503
Washington, DC 20013-7012
www.si.edu/smbc

202-633-4213 (office)
202-673-0040 (fax)
301-461-1784 (mobile)

--- End of forwarded text ---

Thank You,
Kurt Gotthardt

"In Nature, everything is connected to something else, nothing is ever wasted,
and every natural act has a purpose."