UV-BIRDERS Archives

November 2014, Week 3

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Nov 2014 22:50:28 -0500
I couldn't have been more surprised at 3 pm this afternoon to have a
close encounter with a male Cape May Warbler at Kilowatt South Park.
The bird was foraging in thickets between the parking lot and water, in
the company of two chickadees.  I observed it from 2-3 meters distance
for 3-4 minutes.  Its distinctive facial pattern, prominent black
streaking on yellowish breast and sides, and single bold white wingbar
made for an unamibiguous identification.   The bird was completely
unconcerned about me, even coming close to investigate a couple of times.

Although most Cape May Warblers are in the West Indies now, the species
is known to linger in northern temperate areas more frequently than most
other long-distance migrant warblers.  Some will remember the bird that
was present at a Rutland feeder through November and December of 2005,
and eBird records show a bird reported by multiple observers in Essex,
NY on December 7, 2013.

At Lake Pinneo 30 minutes later were 135 Hooded and 45 Common
mergansers, a Great Blue Heron, and the Herring Gull that has been
present from some time.

Chris

--
Chris Rimmer