UV-BIRDERS Archives

April 2011, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Heather Nowlan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Heather Nowlan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Apr 2011 21:10:48 -0400
Wanted to share some birds we have seen here in Cornish that we got
excited about.

A Kestrel was spotted on Friday and Saturday sitting on the same
power-line facing a large field along 12A.

In our backyard on Saturday we saw a Pileated Woodpecker. My children
and I watched him for a good 10 minutes climb up and down some large
trees at the edge of the woods pecking away. We first were drawn to
him by his very loud and unique call. He then took off and crossed the
road heading for higher ground. He was back again yesterday in the
same trees.

We also had a pair of Bluebirds checking out a birdhouse in our yard.
There had come to hang out a bit last fall and we were so hoping to
see them return in the spring. Pure delight when we spotted them and
watched them as they took trip after trip to get grass and twigs for
the nest. However, we didn't see them at all today. Could they have
changed their minds? Did the presence of our cats scare them off?
Anyone else had this happen?

Heather Nowlan
Cornish, NH