UV-BIRDERS Archives

September 2008, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
"J. Langevin" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
J. Langevin
Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 2008 12:48:58 -0400
David,
    I still have Hummers, yet fewer of them.  On Sunday Aug. 31st. we had
seven buzzing at one time around 2 of our feeders on the deck.  Monday the
1st there seemed to be fewer.  On this past Sunday the 7th I did see three
at one time, none of which were adult males.  Today I have seen 2 at a time
come to the feeders, three of which I can see from my sunroom. I still have
8 feeders throughout the yard.  I did fill a feeder that is in the lilac
bush and one on my shop window (extention of garage) that is under the eaves
which were almost empty.
    On Thursday 9/4 we cleaned and refilled the hospital feeders.  Did not
see or hear any Hummers there.  We probably will take those feeders down
this week.  We may leave a few up due to migration along the Ct. River
Valley.
    Yes it seems early.  I have seen Hummers here at my house as late as
Sept.17th in recent years.
    I did have a nice encounter with a young male hummer, throat feathers
whitish with black streak through them.  I tipped up a feeder and he came as
I was within two feet of him.  He fed, fluttered, and  then lit on the perch
to feed again.  He did not seem a bit afraid.
    Joyce
    Enfield Center