UV-BIRDERS Archives

April 2011, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
"Ann B. Flood" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ann B. Flood
Date:
Mon, 11 Apr 2011 09:50:34 -0400
An update on our report a few weeks ago of our first view of a bobcat  [let alone
successfully preying on a gray squirrel]...

The bobcat has continued to be an occasional visitor [and probably many more visits
unobserved].

He came last Tuesday around 6pm and again this morning at 9am.  He takes the same
path, including 'hiding' under our deck--near a line of birdfeeders.

This morning he tried to sneak up on a gray squirrel under the feeder line. I
watched as the squirrel moved around, frequently placing its back toward Bob.
  Bob made a quick foray toward it, but the squirrel ran for some bushes.  Bob
stayed in full view without moving for several minutes. Much to my surprise, after
about a two-minute wait the same squirrel came back to eat. At a near-fatal distance
away, he saw Bob and hastily retreated [staying away this time].

Bob retreated under the deck when I put a red laser beam on the ground in front
of him. I think Bob is still hungry, but then ..the route under the deck is a
favorite path for chipmunks.

Ann and Hal
Lyme NH