UV-BIRDERS Archives

June 2012, Week 5

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jun 2012 09:27:36 -0400
Despite challenging weather, with low clouds and a very slowly clearing
NW wind soaking the vegetation, the VCE field team was able to run mist
nets on our Mansfield ridgeline study plot on Thursday morning.  No big
surprises, but Bicknell's Thrushes were even more vocally active than
during our previous visit 2 weeks earlier.  A loose group of 10 Turkey
Vultures over the ridgeline in late morning, after clouds had lifted,
was an unprecedented number up there.

A number of observers around the Northeast have remarked on the apparent
influx of Swainson's Thrushes (SWTH) on mountaintops this June, in some
cases seeming to "replace" many of the Bicknell's Thrushes (BITH) that
would have formerly been present.  VCE has certainly detected an
increase of SWTH on Mansfield in the last few years, especially in 2011
and this season.  The species used to be uncommon on the ridgeline, but
now rivals BITH in abundance - we've captured 15 so far, and only one is
a bird banded in a previous year.  We haven't yet looked closely at our
mist net or point count data, but BITH appear to be at about "normal"
numbers - we've so far caught 18 individuals, including 6 females with
full incubation/brood patches.  There are also greater numbers of
American Robins, Magnolia Warblers, and Yellow-bellied Flycatchers on
the ridgeline this season, the latter two species typically being found
more commonly on forested slopes below the ridgeline.  It would be
interesting to know whether others are documenting, or even sensing,
similar changes on mountaintops in Vermont or elsewhere.

Chris

Mt. Mansfield - MANS, Lamoille, US-VT
Jun 28, 2012 4:30 AM - 11:30 AM
16 species

Turkey Vulture  10
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher  2     calling
Common Raven  1
Red-breasted Nuthatch  1
Winter Wren  4     singing
Bicknell's Thrush  16     singing and calling
Swainson's Thrush  8     singing and calling, fewer than previous June
visits
American Robin  10
Magnolia Warbler  2     singing
Blackpoll Warbler  8     singing