UV-BIRDERS Archives

February 2008, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
cynthia crawford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
cynthia crawford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2008 10:17:17 -0500
I called VINS yesterday for advise on my sick redpoll, posted earlier.  They
advised trying to catch her....so I did.  Just removed the feeder, put a few
seeds on the windowsill, left the window partially open and had a soft
t-shirt ready to capture.  She came, looked at me a bit, then calmly
proceeded to investigate offerings.  When she seemed to be looking away I
threw  the cloth over her. A few peeps, and she was OK.  Took her in a
perforated box with a supply of seeds, which I could hear her eating
en-route. She seemed calm and content- perhaps a sign of her illness.

I talked to VINS this AM- redpoll still alive, but not looking good.
Salmonella likely prognosis. Stress of capture hard on little birds!

Tried to shovel up seed residue but nearly impossible.  Soaking feeders to
sterlize- will put back up in a few days.  Snowstorm should temporarily
cover (possibly contaminated) seed residue on the surface for a while, but
it will re-emerge. Once feeders are clean, better to fill with clean seed
for resident flocks to keep them from seeking food on the ground.

Bottom line- keep your feeders clean, try to remove spills and residue.
Hope this helps all bird-lovers.  At least "my" redpoll is not here
spreading the disease. Will try to contact neighbors to warn of possible
spread of disease.

Cindy Crawford

--
Creature Kinships and Natural Affinities
Animal and Nature Paintings, Portraits and Prints