UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2010, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
PAMELA HUNT <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
PAMELA HUNT <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 May 2010 08:48:10 -0400
Greetings all,

I figured I'd throw in a couple of cents on this thread, since I just wrote
the Prairie Warbler account for the VT atlas. As Kent said, the species
increased between atlases, being recorded in almost twice as many priority
blocks the second time around - the opposite pattern shown in other
shrubland birds. This slight increase along the northern edge of the range
was also shown in the second NY atlas, and is evident in a few NH data sets
as well. At the same time, however, Breeding Bird Survey data show a
significant DECLINE over most of the Northeast. Are Prairies moving north
with climate change?

Pam Hunt
Penacook, NH