UV-BIRDERS Archives

November 2008, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
"arthur.mudge" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
arthur.mudge
Date:
Sat, 1 Nov 2008 14:24:02 -0400
This morning we had a solitary blackbird at our Haverhill Corner feeder which from its size, coloration, bill size and shape, had to be either a male Rusty or Brewer's Blackbird.  We see the Rusty fairly regularly in small flocks at nearby Bedell Bridge State Park during fall migration, but even by late September already the males have taken on their rust colored winter plumage.  This bird was the perfect picture of breeding season plumage, and apparently would have to be a Brewer's, the only problem being he was way east of normal range for the species, rarely seen east of the Mississippi.  Has anyone else seen a Brewer's in these parts lately?
One bit of "jizz" for this bird, which I could not find mentioned in any identification guide, was a persistent up and down pumping of the tail.