UV-BIRDERS Archives

August 2009, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Aug 2009 15:05:18 -0400
Sorry for the delay in sending this out.

Nighthawk watches have been underway in the vicinity of I-91 Exit 13
in Norwich off and on in the evenings since August 9. Most of the
observations so far this season have been made from the vicinity of
Foley Point, which is in Vermont to the southwest of the Ledyard
Bridge, which is between Norwich and Hanover. Parking for Foley Point
is in the commuter lot for which the entrance is the first left when
going north on Norwich's River Road from the Ledyard Bridge.

Our earliest sighting of Common Nighthawks this season was of two on
August 12. Yesterday evening, eight nighthawks were seen by Spencer
and Doug Hardy and me, bringing our total for this season to ten from
this observation area.

A bonus in looking for migrating nighthawks from the Foley Point area
has been the presence of a nice variety of other bird species such as
represented in the tally below for yesterday evening.

George

George Clark
Norwich, VT