UV-BIRDERS Archives

July 2011, Week 5

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jul 2011 16:53:34 -0400
In the latter part of the morning, Spencer and Doug Hardy and I looked
for waterbirds around Windsor, VT.

Kennedy Pond (= Mill Pond on some maps) on the east side of Route 44
has been lowered about five feet from its previous level due to
concerns about the adequacy of the dam. The highlight among birds
there during our visit today was the presence of eight Great Blue
Herons. A small flock of Canada Geese was present. No shorebirds were
found there today, but birders passing by this large body of water
might wish to check for possible occurrence of additional species of
waterbirds over the coming weeks. The best viewing point for scoping
appears to be from a public parking area most easily accessed from a
vehicle going southward on Route 44 and then turning across the
northbound lane through a open gate onto a sharply descending, paved,
driveway. Because of road configuration and traffic it would be very
difficult to turn directly into this driveway while heading north
along Route 44.

In our very brief visit to the east and west arms of Lake Runnemede, a
flock of Canada Geese constituted the only waterbirds detected. Among
the more conspicuous birds in the late morning there were several
Cedar Waxwings, which were flying upward in a flycatcher-like manner
to hawk insects in the air. Harvesting of corn  grown on the peninsula
between the east and west arms has begun so birders can anticipate a
potential change in the appearance of that frequently visited area
during the coming weeks.

George Clark
Norwich, VT