UV-BIRDERS Archives

September 2008, Week 3

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
"J. Langevin" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
J. Langevin
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2008 12:43:57 -0400
Hummers
    No squeeks, chatter, or humming
    Saw one in the yard yesterday.  None at the feeders for a couple of days.  Still have my feeders out and still have flowers.  May have FROST tonight.
    Saw 3 Loons at Grafton Pond this AM .  The Golden only got to chase one ball.  We cut her swimming short because one loon was calling.  They seemed to be a pair and a smaller bird.  A kayaker was trying to get pictures.
    Have seen a G.B. Heron at George Pond.  He sometimes stands on the large rock in an area close to the road on 4A. People have stopped to take pictures. We saw one take flight last week from in back of the Jiffy Lube on 12A. Didn't expect to see that in town.
    We were in Boston on the 10th and saw a flock of Geese flying thru the city with some of the taller buildings in the back ground. Darn, didn't have my camera ready, but a nice sight and memory.
    On Sat. we did have one monarch fly into the yard and did see one a little ways up the road.  I seem to have seen fewer this year.  I have not noticed any larva on my Milkweed.  I have plenty of milkweed tussock larva though.
    Had one Black Swallowtail on my deck on Tues.; first I had seen this year in my yard.  I have had larva in past years on gout weed by my pond, but saw none this year. That is the reason I have allowed the goutweed to stay in areas in my yard.
J. Langevin
Enfield Ctr.