UV-BIRDERS Archives

January 2010, Week 3

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jan 2010 17:53:57 -0500
This message does not concern birds per se, but bird conservationists.
Some folks on this listserve were privileged to meet VCE's 3 Haitian
conservation partners, who spent most of July, 2008 with us here in
Vermont and have since continued to work with us on Hispaniola.  After
several anxious days last week, we have confirmed that all 3 survived
the devastating earthquake, though their and all other Haitians' lives
have doubtless been forever changed.  My apologies that I didn't relay
this news sooner to any of you who may have been wondering.

Although humanitarian concerns are far and away the most pressing in
Haiti now, as they should be, this tragedy is bound to increase pressure
on the country's scarce and beleagured natural resources.  People are
reportedly pouring out of Port-au-Prince into surrounding rural areas,
seeking food, shelter and safety.  One currently protected area, Parc
National La Visite, lies only  22 km outside the capitol and is already
hanging by a thread ecologically.  It and the rest of the Massif de la
Selle support the bulk of the world's breeding population of
Black-capped Petrel, designated by the IUCN as critically endangered.  A
number of Hispaniola's 31 endemic birds also occur there, as do
wintering Bicknell's Thrushes (see a 2005 report
http://www.vtecostudies.org/PDF/visite05.pdf for more details).  It is
difficult to imagine how the park's fragile habitats can survive the
surge of displaced Port-au-Prince residents that are likely arriving now.

Many in the international conservation community are beginning to
mobilize to assist Haiti in rebuilding its human and natural resource
capital.  For now, of course, all efforts must and will go towards
humanitarian relief, but ultimately, when the time is right, there may
be a great opportunity to give conservation a boost.  Every tragedy has
a silver lining, and while it is difficult to look far ahead at this
point, we can all hope that the international spotlight now on Haiti
leads to a united front for conservation there.  I expect to be able to
relay more news on this during the weeks and months ahead.

For now, we're all incredibly relieved that our Haitian friends and
colleagues are safe.  Some of you might be interested in a recap of
their July 2008 visit at
http://www.vtecostudies.org/hispbird/training.html#Summer2008.

Chris

--