UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2013, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Kyle Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kyle Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 May 2013 11:10:36 -0400
At Dewey's Mills Pond in Quechee this morning I had a Common Gallinule fly up from the causeway to the cattail island in the center of the pond. After 1/2 hour of waiting it came out on the south side of the cattails for a good scope view. If you go looking and don't find it from the causeway, sometimes birds can be scoped from the paved road above the pond. Watch out for traffic.

There was also an immature Orchard Oriole singing in the boxelders about 1/2 way out on the causeway. It's warble was mixed in with a lot of other warbling vireo songs, but was distinctive. It had a few phrases "borrowed" from white-eyed vireos mixed in.

Other than that, there were not a lot of non-breeding migrants around, but I'm not complaining!

Kyle