UV-BIRDERS Archives

January 2009, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Julie Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Julie Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 2009 15:33:13 -0500
Greetings from the Vermont Bird Records Committee,

We would like to thank you for making 2008 an exciting year for birding
in Vermont. Ocean-faring birds made an appearance on Lake Champlain,
there were record numbers of Hoary Redpolls across the state, and we saw
Black Vultures continue their northward expansion. The Vermont Bird
Records Committee met in November to review all the rare bird reports
submitted in the past year. We are excited to announce that you can now
log on to http://www.vtecostudies.org/vbrc/vbrcreports.htm to view which
species were accepted as state records.

Highlights from 2008:
Brown Pelican, first state record (observed in 2003)
Arctic Loon, first hypothetical state record
Long-tailed Jaeger
Dovekie
Barn Owl
Three-toed Woodpecker
Yellow-throated Warbler
American Wigeon (nesting)
Cerulean Warbler (nesting)
Orchard Oriole (nesting)
Clay-colored Sparrow (nesting)

We had an influx of reports for several species that are becoming more
regular in the state. We no longer require reports for the following
species:

Cackling Goose
Ross’s Goose
Harlequin Duck (not required on Lake Champlain, but requested elsewhere)
Tufted Duck (not required on Lake Champlain, but requested elsewhere)
Long-tailed Jaeger (not required on Lake Champlain, but requested
elsewhere)
Northern Gannet (not required in Champlain Valley, but requested elsewhere)
Black Vulture
Nelson’s Sharp-tailed Sparrow
White-winged Crossbill
Hoary Redpoll
Orchard Oriole

Every year we receive rare bird reports that lack enough detail for
conclusive identification, so we have posted an example of a poorly
written RSD, which you can download from
http://www.vtecostudies.org/vbrc/vbrcdocu.htm Send your completed (and
detailed!) rare bird reports to: [log in to unmask]

Finally, for 2009, our resolutions are to update the Vermont Daily Field
Card and create regional filters for Vermont eBird. Both of these
actions will make it easier for everyone to maintain daily checklists
and report rare sightings.

May 2009 bring many birds your way!

Vermont Bird Records Committee:
Hector Galbraith
Julie Hart
Dick Lavallee
Kent McFarland (rare bird report police)
Julie Nicholson (non-voting member)
Judy Peterson (co-chair)
Chris Rimmer (non-voting member)
Allan Strong (co-chair)