UV-BIRDERS Archives

February 2013, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2013 21:35:29 -0500
The following was copied from the NH statewide bird list:
Subject: Great Gray Owl
Date: Mon Feb 4 2013 19:08 pm
From: dbjohnston21 AT gmail.com

After waitng on Trescott Rd for about 20 minutes and driving along the

road, I decided to park in the trail area( a paved road is right across

from it) on the same side of the road as the App. Trail with signs
saying

something like "Hanover town trail and to App. Trail". It is just
below the

first field/ farm past where people were walking to the marsh across
from

the App. Trail parking area. Seeming to be public access, I walked
across

the field to the far treeline, turned right on a trail cutting across
the

back of the field, and peeked through the next treeline looking down
into a

frozen marsh with some big, old apple tree snags, and the owl was
perched

on one of the snags. I observed it for about a minute before it flew
into

some pines behind the marsh, where it perched briefly before sliding

through. This was about 5:10 this evening. Good luck.

Dave Johnston, Brattleboro
George Clark
Norwich, VT