UV-BIRDERS Archives

October 2008, Week 3

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Doug Hardy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 19 Oct 2008 21:42:54 -0400
On Saturday (18th) we birded our way from home to Ledyard Bridge, then
stopped briefly by the Co-op gardens on Rt. 5 in Norwich.

Other than our season's-first Fox Sparrow, a highlight was the
considerable number of raptors taking advantage of the wind and heading
south, as observed from the new Dresden athletic fields adjacent to the
Co-op gardens. In general, the raptors were high and a bit west of our
location, streaming due south. In ~30 minutes (partially occupied by
sparrow searching) we saw roughly 20 Red-tailed Hawks mixed in with
maybe 6 Accipiters, along with some TVs.

Doug & Spencer Hardy, Norwich

Along Bragg Hill Road, ~0930 (also Saturday):
  Sharp-shinned Hawk     1
  Ruby-crowned Kinglet     1
  Red-winged Blackbirds     X  -  some still singing in rushes

  Eastern Bluebird 4

Ledyard Bridge Area- CT River, Norwich
  Canada Goose     18
  Wood Duck     3