UV-BIRDERS Archives

April 2011, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 2011 15:07:06 -0400
Following on a report by Kent McFarland from the south end of Kilowatt
Park in Wilder this damp morning, Ed Hack and I arrived there in mid
morning, and Chris Rimmer joined us. We were pleased to see many of
the birds reported by Kent including the dozens of Ring-necked Ducks,
Greater Scaups, a male Red-breasted Merganser, the flock of Double-
crested Cormorants. and a Tree Swallow. We also saw a Pied-billed
Grebe. All of these birds were on or over the river so potentially
might be included as New Hampshire records even though our sightings
were all made from Vermont. After Chris had to leave, Ed and I found
10 Bohemian Waxwings in Vermont along the brush row separating the
Kilowatt playing field from the river.

Ed and I then checked a few spots in Norwich along the river. Two
Eastern Phoebes were in Vermont near Route 5 to the south of the mouth
of the Ompompanoosuc River.

The most unexpected find was a remarkably early Spotted Sandpiper
walking along the margin of the ice along the river in the area of a
small flock of Herring Gulls with at least one Ring-billed Gull
included; these birds were all on the New Hampshire side of the river
but seen from Kendall Station Road in Norwich. The Spotted Sandpiper
showed the characteristic "teetering" movement and the prominent
"shoulder marking". Seeing a Spotted Sandpiper with so much ice around
was a new experience.

George Clark
Norwich, VT