UV-BIRDERS Archives

March 2007, Week 5

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
PAMELA HUNT <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
PAMELA HUNT <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2007 08:50:29 -0400
Greetings all,

I'd like to reply to Lance's posting wearing my Audubon Hat (although not my
Audubon email) to point out that the ENTIRE river from the Mass border to
Weathersfield Bow (Claremont on the NH side) is a bi-state IBA.  As posts in
the last few months have indicated, this is an exceptional area for
waterfowl during spring migration, which was a driving force behind the IBA
status. While people are out looking for the rare goodies, I strongly
encourage you to keep track of numbers of other waterfowl (as most seem to
be doing) and - most importantly - submit your records to either NH Audubon
or VINS (latter via VT ebird). Although we have lots of numbers, until
Eric's recent "discovery" of the Hinsdale roost there wasn't anywhere near
this amount of coverage.  I especially encourage people to do something
systematic when they cover the river, so that data are comparable across
years.

With changing land use in the valley, it would also be interesting to see
where the birds are primarily foraging during the day, in the event it is
possible to conserve such areas through easement or other means.  If
development or conversion to poorer habitat (e.g., sod farms, vegetables)
continue to increase, there will be fewer cornfields along the river in
which waterfowl can forage, at which point the cool open water areas where
they roost will be moot.

There's nothing like a rarity to spark interest, but I encourage everyone to
think a little longer term than simply adding another checkmark to various
lists. Go out there and collect data that can ultimately be used for
conservation!

Thanks,
Pam Hunt
Bird Conservation Biologist