UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2015, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Date:
Thu, 7 May 2015 02:44:42 +0000
     I left last years nest up through the winter.  I had to assist her last year  when she
thought she could build her nest on top of a shutter. With only a depth of 1 inch. I suspended the bottom of a plastic
milk jug to give her the depth she needed for her nest. I held it with duct tape and slid a four inch piece of metal
between the jug and the shutter for extra support.
    This year she started with mud on the top of the window next to the old nest.  To give her depth I
put up a thin piece of foam covered with plastic.  I cut it 3 inches by 15 inches and put 1x1x3 inch pieces
of pink foam insulation on each end and used gorillia tape to hold them to the window.  I also put a
five inch piece the long way so it wouldn't sag.
    She has continued to busily build her nest.  She has now been gathering moss and seems to be nearing completion.
.My construction did not seem to bother her at all.
J. Barton
Enfield Center.