UV-BIRDERS Archives

October 2008, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Peg Ackerson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peg Ackerson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Oct 2008 08:37:12 -0400
Casual birding in Lyme Center, evening of Oct 3rd
Chatty Black-capped Chickadees lured me across the road to the moist thicket that has been so attractive to migrants.  I also was intrigued by some call notes.  I found two Hermit Thrush feeding on berries and a silent Gray Catbird.  An unsprayed apple tree was very active with chickadees and Ruby-crowned Kinglets.  Also saw/heard an Eastern Phoebe and Tufted Titmouse.

In another moist thicket down the road, I found a cooperative threesome that was excellent for species comparison:  Song Sparrow, White-throated Sparrow, and the smaller Lincoln's Sparrow.

By the Dartmouth Skiway pond, a Great Blue Heron silently soared over me and landed in the reeds.

Fun birding,

Peg Ackerson

Lyme Center, NH