UV-BIRDERS Archives

January 2008, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Jim Block <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Block <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2008 16:01:03 -0500
After driving around Lyme, Thetford, and Norwich looking in vain for
something interesting in the gloomy light, I found a group of 6 male pine
grosbeaks feeding on high bush cranberries along King Road about a mile from
my home.  Watching them from the treetops was a group of 8 bohemian
waxwings.  I got only a few photos before the grosbeaks flew.

About 15 minutes later I managed to locate them again near the entrance to
Morton Farm.  One sat on a small tree and the others were near the tops of
the trees across the road.  When I approached the single bird the other 5
must have wanted their photos taken also.  They flew in and landed fairly
close to me.  I got a few more photos before an oil truck came speeding down
Laramie Road sending the grosbeaks heading south toward Lebanon.

This all happened mid-afternoon.  I'll try to post some photos tomorrow.

Jim