UV-BIRDERS Archives

October 2011, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Oct 2011 15:44:16 -0400
This morning about 16 observers set out on a birding trip organized by
the Mascoma Chapter of New Hampshire Audubon and found 24 bird species
along the Connecticut River in Hanover and Lyme, NH.

Beginning under foggy and chilly conditions, the group first stopped
at Hanover's Wilson's Landing, where the moving fog was thick enough
that fleetingly seen waterfowl silhouettes on the water across the
river by the Vermont coves near Pompy Farm could not be surely
identified as either decoys or live birds. Closer at hand, however, on
the NH side, decoys and hunters were both definitely present, and,
after hearing some shooting, we saw a retrieving dog swimming while
carrying a duck. This was the only site where hunting was underway
during our tour. After Wilson's Landing, we birded along River Road
through Hanover and then northward as far as Grant Brook in Lyme.

Waterfowl species (not decoys) seen by our birding group this morning
included Canada Geese, Wood Ducks, and Mallards. Great Blue Herons
were found in a few different locations including Grant Brook. Among
raptors seen, a total of four immature Bald Eagles outnumbered the
single Sharp-shinned Hawk and lone Merlin. A Greater Yellowlegs by
Grant Brook provided superb views. Four of the total of five Yellow-
shafted Flickers were together in one location along River Road. An
Eastern Phoebe provided a good showing of the characteristic tail
movements for that species. Ruby-crowned Kinglets exhibited their
usual rapidity of movements within the trees. Songs of both Song and
White-throated Sparrows were heard but, as might be expected, seemed
quite imperfect compared with breeding season performances.

Additional species this morning included Mourning Dove, Belted
Kingfisher, Hairy Woodpecker.
Blue Jays, American Crows, Black-capped Chickadees, White-breasted
Nuthatch, American Robins, Cedar Waxwings, Yellow-rumped Warblers, and
American Goldfinches.

Special thanks to Dartmouth Printing in Hanover for providing parking
spaces for this morning.

George Clark
Norwich, VT