UV-BIRDERS Archives

February 2007, Week 3

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Judy Lombardi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 17 Feb 2007 16:58:49 EST
I was astonished to see a Loggerhead Shrike at my feeders today.  He  landed
on my deck, and then flew off to my apple tree.....he had interesting
hovering behavior....he was absolutely beautiful.....I took several photos as I  had
never seen a Shrike before.  He was not a Northern Shrike, based on his
smaller bill and plumage....he left in hot pursuit of a finch...in reading about
Shrikes he is apparently called the "Butcher Bird", and will impale his kills
on  tree branches or barbed wire.....either to eat later or mark his
territory...and  they are not indigenous to New England....I was thrilled to see him (
probably  more thrilled than the poor finch!)

Judy Lombardi
Golden Acres Photography