UV-BIRDERS Archives

July 2009, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Lila Ollmann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lila Ollmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jul 2009 16:40:18 -0400
I have just recently put out feeders this summer to attract birds to my
porch, and am a little worried about the condition of a few of the visitors.
 I don't think I have ever put up feeders in the summer, so I am wondering
if what I am seeing is either molt or juvenile plumage on single male rose
breasted grosbeak who has come close to the feeder. It is not puffed up, and
its eyes look bright enough, but its feathers are raggedy looking.  Most of
the chickadees have a similar look, sort of like they've been mouthed over
by something.   I did look up immature rose breasted grosbeak on google, and
there is a picture that looks very similar to this guy. But I don't want to
be responsible for spreading disease through the neighborhood bird
community.   I did take lots of pictures of the grosbeak in case anyone
wants to see what I mean... Thanks!