UV-BIRDERS Archives

August 2011, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Lila Ollmann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lila Ollmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Aug 2011 20:05:14 -0400
An Olive-Sided Flycatcher was hunting from the top of one of my beloved dead
trees here in Norwich this am.  It's the third time I've seen it here this
year, once in May and then a few weeks ago, I think.. and today. I think of
it as the same one, but it may be a totally different individual, I suppose.
 Unfortunately, those tree tops are in high demand by all the aggressive
birds in the area, meaning  most of them lately.  It seems like everything
is trying to rip everything else's face off..  I don't know if the Phoebe
trying to knock it off the perch was why it left, but it didn't stay around
long after that.  Why is everything seeming so competitive this time of
year, I would think that the competition part of the year should be OVER,
with claiming territories and breeding finished. Most of these birds are
going to be leaving fairly soon.  Hummingbirds can't stand the sight of
anyone else, and seem to go way out of their way to attack birds of any
species who didn't even seem to be looking at them funny that I could tell.
 Birds are awesome.