UV-BIRDERS Archives

October 2012, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
spencer hardy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
spencer hardy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Oct 2012 16:16:25 -0400
Ed Hack and George Clark found a pair of Northern Pintails this
morning in the coves near Pompy Farms along Rt. 5. I checked the area
around 3 today and couldn't find them, but spent enough time looking
that I got to see a flyby flock of shorebirds; 4 Greater Yellowlegs
and a Pectoral Sandpiper. They were last seen headed south from the
coves around 3:30.

Spencer Hardy
Norwich, VT

Ompompanoosuc rivermouth, Windsor, US-VT
Oct 11, 2012 3:00 PM - 3:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.5 mile(s)
12 species

Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos)  10
Blue-winged Teal (Anas discors)  2
Ring-necked Duck (Aythya collaris)  1     female, in the reeds near
the bridge on Kendal Station Rd.
Common Merganser (Mergus merganser)  2
Greater Yellowlegs (Tringa melanoleuca)  4     In flight only, circled
looking for a place to land then left to the south. ID first by call,
but seen well as they came close
Pectoral Sandpiper (Calidris melanotos)  1     With GRYE, large peep
with distinctive streaked chest and white belly. Between 1/2 and 3/4
the size of the yellowlegs.
Rock Pigeon (Columba livia)  20
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus)  2
Palm Warbler (Western) (Setophaga palmarum palmarum)  1
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia)  2
White-throated Sparrow (Zonotrichia albicollis)  2
Dark-eyed Junco (Junco hyemalis)  4

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (http://ebird.org/vt)