UV-BIRDERS Archives

September 2013, Week 3

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Sep 2013 17:10:23 -0400
In late morning today, I was alerted to the presence of a sizable dead
bird lying near the edge on a first floor roof of a home on the edge
of Norwich village. A homeowner kindly invited me to look down through
his 2nd floor window from which without binoculars at several yards
distance I could see on a roof below a feathered carcass which
resembled a medium sized hawk with a relatively short tail. It was not
until later in the day when the carcass had been retrieved from the
roof and then shown to me that I realized that the bird was a
relatively freshly killed Ruffed Grouse which had met an unfortunate
end.

I had previously seen situations where Ruffed Grouse had died flying
into windows close to the ground. The presumption has been that a
grouse on the ground looks upward, sees open sky reflected in a window
above, then flies up in that direction and fatally strikes the window.
The situation today was unusual in that presumably the bird struck a
2nd floor window, high off the ground, and then fell backward onto the
edge of the first floor roof below.

George Clark
Norwich, VT