UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2009, Week 5

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Doug Hardy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 31 May 2009 13:47:24 -0400
This morning at Ledyard we found a male Orchard Oriole, then a female,
then a nest!

There don't seem to have been any previous sightings (or nesting) of
this species in Norwich, although eBird indicates sightings in Pomfret
(1977), Thetford (1995), and Vershire (2004, 2006) - among a fair number
elsewhere in Vermont. One was seen earlier this month in Royalton.

The site is where Norwich-Hanover road crosses over the railroad tracks,
on the south side.

Anyone wishing to see the birds should be careful not to disturb these
and other nesting species in the immediate vicinity. Today we also found
nests of Baltimore Orioles, Phoebes, Chestnut-sided Warblers, and
Redstarts quite close to the Orchard Oriole's nest, despite being fairly
close to the busy road and not-so-busy tracks (full list below). The
best access is from a park-and-ride lot on River Road (NW corner of
bridge) and then walking south on the railroad tracks. We suggest
staying on the railroad track bed and yielding to any trains.

Spencer & Doug Hardy
Norwich