UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2014, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Tim and Janet <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tim and Janet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 May 2014 23:33:38 -0400
Time to update the birds at Crossroad Farm.  I went down to put the pump in our irrigation pond and startled a green heron.  It flew off into a tree and didn't seem too  happy it had to move.  So far we have found one Killdeer nest with four eggs.  The bird came right up to me when I flagged the nest to protect it. It too was not very happy.  The tree swallows and phoebes returned several weeks ago and are busy building nests.  The cliff and barn swallows are back in our barn.  We are enjoying the goldfinches eating their thistle.  I saw a meadowlark flying in our field. I haven't seen or heard a Bobolink yet. The juncos have left.  The hummers are back in the greenhouses. Last week I glanced out the kitchen window and saw an American Kestral on the ground killing an unidentified sparrow. It flew off with its pray.  The loons can be heard most mornings flying over head on their way, I believe, from Miller pond to Lake Fairlee.  Yesterday, Mothers Day, there was quite a commotion when six crows were chasing an unidentified raptor overhead. These are just some of the notable comings and goings, I observe daily on the farm as I go about my work day.  Finally, every morning I start our daily crew meetings with a different bird song.  I can't wait for George's walk this weekend.