UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2010, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 May 2010 17:39:12 -0400
George Clark, Ed Hack and I had a good morning along the Connecticut R
between Ledyard and Kendall Station, including a few firsts for the
year.  Highlights:

Location:     Ledyard Bridge
Common Merganser     2
Double-crested Cormorant     1
Turkey Vulture     1
Spotted Sandpiper     1
Tree Swallow     2
Northern Rough-winged Swallow     3
House Wren     1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet     1
Yellow-rumped Warbler     15
Pine Warbler     1
Palm Warbler     1
Black-and-white Warbler     1
White-throated Sparrow     2

Location:     Ompomanoosuc River  - just south
Canada Goose     6
Wood Duck     5
Ring-necked Duck     3
Osprey     1
Killdeer     1
Wilson's Snipe     3
Swamp Sparrow     1

Location:     Ompompanoosuc River flats
Green-winged Teal (American)     6
Ring-billed Gull     1

We also had a singing Brown Thrasher on Kendall Station Road, another Green-winged Teal pair in the small ponds bordering Rt 132, and a Spotted Sandpiper on the river.

I took an impromptu early afternoon trip up to the intersection of Rt. 132 and Kerwin Hill Road and had the following in the shrubby fields to the north.

American Kestrel     1 male
Eastern Phoebe     2
Blue-headed Vireo     1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet     3