UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2010, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
"David L. Webb" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 23 May 2010 22:59:24 -0400
	On Saturday morning I took a beginning birder on a leisurely birding trip to
the Ledyard Bridge and Bragg Hill in Norwich, the Mystery Trail and Houghton Hill
marsh in Thetford, and Post Pond in Lyme.  I found 61 species; highlights included
both Waterthrushes, the three local Empidonax flycachers, a probable Magnolia
Warbler, and "my" Broad-winged Hawk.

	The latter deserves some explanation.  Two years ago, I stopped briefly at Houghton
Hill marsh late in the day and found it pretty quiet; however, I lingered a few
minutes and was rewarded by a Broad-winged Hawk.  Last year around this time I
took a beginning birder to Houghton Hill around noon, and it was pretty quiet
-- just the usual Red-winged Blackbirds, Swamp Sparrows, etc.; however, I remarked
to her that if we waited around a bit at this spot, we might find something interesting,
and I mentioned my encounter the year before with the Broad-winged Hawk.  No sooner
were the words out of my mouth than I heard a Broad-winged Hawk, and a few minutes
later it circled over our heads!  This year when I returned to the spot, I was
just about to tell my companion about "conjuring" the Broad-winged Hawk last year,
when I heard a Broad-winged Hawk! -- and in a few moments it came circling over
our heads, calling querulously.

				David Webb
				Hanover