UV-BIRDERS Archives

March 2013, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 2013 18:17:36 -0400
Grab your binoculars this spring and join us for an all–out grassland
bird blitz! Here is your chance to help put grassland bird “hotspots”
on the map of the Upper Valley for both Vermont and New Hampshire.

This spring and summer the "Upper Valley Grassland Bird Conservation
Project" will be scouring fields and farms for grassland birds, and we
need your help.  We need people to make stops along roadsides, looking
and listening for just a few grassland bird species, in both VT and
NH. Easy to do, easy to learn, easy for everyone to participate.

The information you collect will allow us to identify key grassland
habitats in the region. Then, the following year, we will provide
willing landowners in those areas with management tools to improve the
quality of their open lands for grassland birds. What’s more, some
sites were surveyed in the late 1990s by Massachusetts Audubon and its
partners, and this survey, 15 years later, will show how changes on
the land have affected the grassland bird community.

Surveys can be conducted any day in good weather conditions from mid-
May through early July, in the mornings (5:30 - 9:30am). Volunteers
are welcome to visit as many sites as they wish.

Help us create more quality habitat for our grassland birds! For more
information, please contact Jamie Sydoriak at [log in to unmask]

The Upper Valley Grassland Bird Conservation Project is a partnership
of the Vermont Center for Ecostudies, New Hampshire Audubon, and
Plymouth State University.

Jamie Sydoriak (Plymouth State)
Rosalind Renfrew (Vermont Center for Ecostudies)
Pam Hunt (NH Audubon)