UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2010, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 May 2010 18:27:39 -0400
Highlights of a Green Mountain Club bird walk in the Mystery Trail
area of the Union Village Dam area off Route 113 in Thetford, VT, this
morning included nice views of 3 Wood Ducks, Eastern Kingbird, Yellow
Warbler, Chestnut-sided Warbler, Common Yellowthroat, Rose-breasted
Grosbeak, and Baltimore Oriole, among a total of 28 species detected.
It was also good to hear repeated Ruffed Grouse drumming.

Later this morning there was a singing Warbling Vireo along the
Connecticut River near Pompy Farms in Norwich.

In the Foley Park area of Norwich by the Ledyard Bridge still later in
the morning, I was joined for brief times by Rob Humphries and then Ed
Hack. Highlights around Foley Park included a Broad-winged Hawk, a
Ring-billed Gull, and a mature male American Redstart. The latter
repeatedly sang but remained out of sight much of the time while well
hidden by the new leaves in dense vegetation close to the ground. This
was my first sighting of an American Redstart in Norwich during 2010.

Later today I was pleased to see 2 Evening Grosbeaks here in the
backyard in Norwich village.

George

George Clark
Norwich, VT