SAHALIYAN Archives

June 2006, Week 1

SAHALIYAN@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH>EDU

From:
Pamela Crossley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sahaliyan <[log in to unmask]>EDU>
Date:
Sun, 4 Jun 2006 08:16:11 -0400
Dear All,

A question was posed to me recently by Caroline Humphrey that leaves
me curious about something. Her question to me was about the visit to
the Kangxi court of the Mergen Gege'en, supposedly the occasion for
his composition of the liturgy for fire worship of Chinggis. I think
most to the answer to Caroline's questions relates to Mongol
practices, and I suggested that, among other things, she read Chris
Atwood's 1996 in article History of Religions. However, this left me
curious about Manchu/Tungusic/Northeast Asian traditions of fire
worship. I only know a little bit about it and among Manchus rituals
there is, in my impression, only a faint residual impression of the
fire reverence. Is there a good history of fire worship or ritual in
Northeast Asia, among non-Mongolian speakers? I found tidbits on
Evenk and Orochen practices, just wondering if there is something
more developed somewhere.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Pamela