NISUS Archives

January 2012

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Geoffrey Heard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 2 Jan 2012 11:11:47 +1100
At 10:41 AM +1100 2/1/12, Brian Ferguson wrote:
>Good point Geoff.
>
>I do have a set of applications listed under the Applications/Folder
>as iWork '09 but this is misleading.
>
>Inside the folder are the three applications Keynote 5.11, Number
>2.1 and Pages 4.1, the Date Modified is 2 December 2011 for Keynote
>and the latter two on 22 July 2011.
>
>Date Created is 21 December 2008 for all as shown in my
>Applications/iWork Finder window, but that may be the date I
>installed them from the DVD.
>
>I don't have a record but I think that the modification dates
>22/07/2011 would have been close to the release date of Lion; i.e.
>they would have been Lionised after prior upgrading for Snow Leopard.

Thanks, Brian. So they've had updates through Software Update, no
doubt, but no outright new versions.

>I also suspect that Apple's main interest now is to get Apps for
>iPhone, iPad, etc. up and running. The Computer side is now not so
>important that applications need continuing upgrading.

A sign of which is Lion itself which is a computer version of the
i-interface. Someone remarked on the Mac Forum at DPReview regarding
program purchases from the App store. I note that programs are now no
longer sold from the online Mac store and what was headed for being a
premier program, Aperture (super iPhoto), hasn't been upgraded for
two years. (I think it's a bum of a program anyway, paid $99 for it
from the App store and dumped it in the rubbish after struggling with
it for a month, so from my PoV no development is no loss.) Yes, I
think you're right -- computers per se are low on Apple's agenda now.

>Ah, for those having a lovely White Xmas, today and tomorrow will be
>a sharp 40 degrees.
>Celsius.

Sorry, Brian, not with you on that! No white Christmases or 2nds of
January for me, thanks, and I feel I have dibs on the 2nd Jan since
it's my birthday.

I'm just back from walking down the street to buy a loaf of bread,
some lemons (need them for the gin & tonics -- man cannot live by
bread alone particularly at my age when preservatives can be
all-important), and eggs and cinnamon sticks (for the birthday lunch
dessert -- Portuguese custard thing with clouds of poached meringue
floating on it).

So I'll take the heat any time -- although 40 is slightly ridiculous.
In my favoured tropical hangouts it's only 30-32 all the time.

Yesterday, we spent the afternoon napping, reading, and surfing on
the Internet while reclining in the amazing replacement for banana
lounges that Bunnings now sells (like those ubiquitous canvas folding
chairs, but gone feral -- extremely comfortable and far superior to
the old banana lounge) in the shade of a big elm in the back yard.
The wireless thing in the house just reaches that far.

Cheers, geoff