NISUS Archives

December 2010

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
paolo savonuzzi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 2010 23:47:57 +0100
... a (ehm... cough-cough) photographer writing, here: Geoff you are aware that, if your images are jpgs, iPhoto is the last "tool" on earth you should use, right? ;-)

it is indeed a very practical and easy tool for *storing and organizing* (smaller: meaning not my raw originals ;-) images and, being somehow "part of Mac OS", many third party apps (RapidWeaver, to say one) are able to pick what one needs directly from its Library but...

... every single time you "edit" an image (... not sure if this has been addressed in latest versions: also auto-rotating a portrait format image during first import is considered *editing* by iPhoto) iPhoto recompresses it at every single step.
this simply means, as jpg is a lossy format, your pictures are loosing quality at every single editing step! :-/
(sure... digging somewhere inside iPhoto's library you can recover your originals but... all your editing will be lost)

so... if editing is what you need... consider, if not LightRoom, Aperture ;-)
--
paolo