NISUS Archives

February 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Geoffrey Heard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2011 12:46:30 +1100
Hello all

I'm wondering what's happening with NWP's immediate competitors? Has
anyone been following any of them? I don't mean Word -- it's the 500
kg gorilla -- I mean the other smaller WPs.

I know one that could have been a competitor -- Papyrus. It's just
came to a dead stop in
English at v.12.5 in about 2005 (I think) with some obvious
improvements needed, while it has moved up to v.17 in German. I've
been following it because I was interested in its database function
("was" beibng the operative term here).

But what of Mellel, mariner Writer, etc? Are they upgrading? Are they
bashing down people's doors?

And what on earth do people think is actually happening at Nisus? My
take on the software market (in fact, just about any market these
days) is that you need to keep pushing your product(s) forward with
face lifts, incremental upgrades, etc.

it's all very well to have a bunch of supportive customers, but
they're not much use to you if they aren't buying anything because
you're not giving them anything to buy!  :D

Cheers

Geoffrey Heard
Business writer, editor, publisher
The Worsley Press
Buy "Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty
shapes?" -- the world's ONLY scientifically based guide to type and
layout, and receive a free 140 page guide to advertising for small
business: "How to make great ads for (small) business: 99 real world
advertising ideas to kickstart *your* business today". Amazon or
http://www.worsleypress.com