NISUS Archives

May 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Philip Spaelti <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 31 May 2011 21:28:06 +0900
Yes, that is the error message you get. And the reason you get that, is that from the macro processor's point of view that is the error. In fact in another situation that may be the error you would have been making. So in that case the message would be helpful.

So to answer your real question: No it would not be possible to give a better message (most likely), because what the error is depends on the macro writer's intention. The syntax of the macro language determines what the correct way to write something is, and the computer can determine if you are matching that or not. But there are an infinite number of ways of getting things wrong, and the computer can't possibly figure out which one you meant to choose.

On 31. May 2011, at 18:47 , Þorvarður Davíðsson wrote:

> Good that you remind me of this important limitation. Now I just have to make sure I don’t forget it again. :-)
>
> The error message that popped up was something about a "," missing to join the arguments. Would it be possible for NWP to detect if more than one operation is on a line and then display a warning stating that only one operation is allowed? If that is possible then I think we should maybe send a feature request to Nisus Software because the error message I got was not helpful for the user.

Philip Spaelti