NISUS Archives

January 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
"Knut S. Vikør" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2011 11:38:58 +0100
Den 18. jan. 2011 kl. 01:10 skrev jem cabanes:

> On 17.01.2011, at 23.38, Geoffrey Heard wrote:
>
>>> and though the Mac version of OpenOffice has proved, finally, useless, NeoOffice does an excellent job.
>>
>> Now that's odd since NeoOffice is simply a Maccerization of OO. It is supposed to be just front end on OO. Hence it tends to run a version point behind OO.
>
> It may be, but fact is that OO refused to help, and NO doest it beautifully.

Actually, NeoOffice is (as far as I know) programmed as Java, and must thus have a different programming basis than Mac OpenOffice.org. In any case, they have made some different choices than OO/Mac, consciously so, which allows them to work better in some situations.

For e.g. Arabic users, this gives it a distinct advantage in how it opens Windows files written in OpenType Arabic fonts (as TimesNewRoman, very common): Neither of them can handle Arabic OT fonts, but OpenOffice.org will just display the TNR Arabic characters, which then are unreadable until you change the font; while NeoOffice substitutes readable Geeza on display, while still saving the file as TNR (for later use on Windows), a distinct advantage.

Knut