NISUS Archives

January 2012

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Geoffrey Heard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 2 Jan 2012 11:24:44 +1100
At 2:48 AM -0500 1/1/12, Anne Cuneo wrote:
>I wish you all a good 2012, even though I am worriedŠ
>Is the financial bubble going to explode?

Yes, but don't worry -- the rich will get richer
through it, just as they did during the recent
financial crisis and the Grat Depression.

>Is climate going to wreak havoc?

It is already. It is getting worse.

>Is my favourite brand of letter-paper (yes, I
>still do write letters) going to disappear?

If it can't be commodified and made into a "home
brand" but some dastardly retail chain, then yes.

>Is my postman going to be «optimized» away?

Certainly Fed Express, DHL, etc., are working on
this, as they have for years. When the US postal
service finally collapses under the weight of the
expectations dumped on it by Reagan, other post
offices will come under even more pressure.

>Who is going to rule America: Obama? Mitt
>Romney? Rick Santorum? Is the occupy movement
>going to be strong enough? etc., etc.

None of the above and none of those in the Oval
Office, the home of circular arguments, has for a
long time. Remember Eisenhower's warning about
the military-industrial complex? Add in the
financial sector.

>The fireworks the city of Zurich, where I am,
>offered its citizen last night were absolutely
>smashing. But I couldn't help thinking of all
>these things while admiring them.

I have to say, I'm over these organized
fireworks. Bread and circuses. In the old days,
we could have our own little celebration with our
community -- family and friends. Today we are
told where we can celebrate and we watch the
preprogrammed "celebration". From my PoV, it
sucks.

>Is there something wrong with me, doctor?

if you're an optimist, yes, you are living in a dream world!

>Anyway, as I am an optimist, I shall still wish
>you (and myself) a happy New Year.

Ooops! But many thanks for your kind thought!  :)

>Cheers!
>Anne
>
>PS. This conversation started with a resounding
>«Guys», so I felt a bit excluded. Please
>remember me - I don't contribute much, I have
>been very very busy finishing a book, but I read
>you faithfully.

I agree -- "everyone" is there to be used. Even
"friends". People argue that it is gender-free
now, but you notice from which side of the gender
line it comes -- it's just an updating of the use
of the male whatever to allegedly indicate all
people. You can imagine the howls of indignation
at any use of "dolls" for all people instead of
"guys".

Cheers, geoff