NISUS Archives

January 2012

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Ferren MacIntyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 7 Jan 2012 05:28:10 -0800
My problem with hamza is not so much *typing* it, as figuring out what it is. The one in Qur'an gets written to look like both a 'c' and a reversed 'c' in different places, but these (as I understand things) are really 2 different characters. The glyphs in Characer Viewer are so numerous and variable that they leave this Arabic-illiterate baffled. I don't wan't to use a single quote, because I find it necessary to switch between 'Educate Quotes' and 'Straighten Quotes' when using Find&Replace to insert unicode gobbledogook. What *is* that thing in Qur'an? It is often written differently from the one in 'Umar. Surely somebody on this list knows about these arcane matters!

Cheers,

Ferren
===================
(Dr) Ferren MacIntyre
1 ch. des Echarts
Campagne sur Aude
11260 France
+33 (0) 468 748870
===================
MacBook Pro 5,1; 2.4GHz, 4GB
OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard

> On 04.01.2012, at 11:16, Knut S. Vikør wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately, these two are not among the characters you can type with
>> the US Extended keyboard, so you are forced to use Character Viewer,
>> unless you hav PopChar or one of the more spcialized keyboard layouts
>> that let you type it directly
>
> Why not use the inbuilt Nisus Glossary feature to accomplish things like
> that? One could assign a simple abbreviation (such as "c9") to a glossary
> entry and when typed it would then be expanded immediately, giving you
> the character you are looking for. That would be a bit faster than having
> to grab the mouse and then look for the character in PopChar. The same
> could be achieved system wide with Typinator (or any other glossary
> tool).
>
> Þorvarður

Easily monitor multiple email accounts & access them with a click.
Visit http://www.inbox.com/notifier and check it out!