NISUS Archives

August 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Geoffrey Heard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 29 Aug 2011 20:11:44 +1000
At 10:20 AM +1000 27/8/11, Geoffrey Heard wrote:
>As Žorvaršur has also reported, my third party
>mouse became subject to periodic freezes under
>X.6.8. it also appeared to become less accurate.

. . .

>2) Good old coincidence. The problem seemed to
>occur most frequently in heavy mousing sessions
>when I made a particular, sharp movement.
>Unplugging and replugging the USB lead could fix
>it, then I found moving the mouse around in a
>way that jogged the lead could fix it. I
>wondered whether we had a coincidence happening
>-- the USB lead in my old mouse becoming a bit
>unstuck just at the time I switched to X.6.8. Or
>something. I took the mouse apart to check.
>Needless to say, it looked okay but when I
>reassembled it, it wouldn't work at all! Gawd --
>a $15 mouse that only lasts about 4 years?
>That's more than a cent a day, you do realize!!!
>:(
>
>THE SOLUTION: buy another $15 mouse. So far I
>haven't had any freezes with this mouse, but I
>haven't done a lot of heavy mousing with it
>either. I'll let you know!

No freezing, but continuing jerkiness. I wondered
whether this was due to low resolution. On the
package it said 1000 dpi, but . . .  So I lashed
out -- bought a Logitech M100 mouse with (what I
assumed was a genuine) 1000 dpi on eBay for $17.

It arrived overnight. The Logitech runs as smooth
as glass. I've been able to jack up the speed of
the mouse again to just one notch below the max
(I have a 23" monitor so if it's a bit slow, it
takes a long, long time to get from one side to
the other). I can run the Logitech with or
without its own driver. I've elected to run it
just plugged in without the software as not using
the button press-click or the sideways scrolling.

The disadvantage is that the M100 is a full size
mouse, it is about 25-30% bigger than the cheap
one I just bought (branded "Tecom"), and it's
twice as big as my old Rock. Not pocketable like
the old one but very light and easy to move
around.

So there you go. it wasn't a bug in OS X.6.8. It
would be a hug coincidence if your mouse is also
suffering physical problems, Žorvaršur!

Cheers, geoff