NISUS Archives

October 2016

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Bob Stern <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 30 Oct 2016 17:12:18 -0700
> On Oct 30, 2016, at 2:19 PM, Takamitsu Muraoka <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> With NWP you can number each line to the left of the pages and the line numbers can be printed. But does anyone know how to incorporate these numbers inside the text automatically?

If I correctly understand your desire, the solution is easy if each paragraph is short enough that it never wraps around to a second line.

First, you can number each paragraph as explained in the user guide under "Creating Lists".

Second, to convert the automatic numbers to permanent numbers, save and run the following macro.  (Be sure to include the final line "End" in the macro.)

# http://nisus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3921

# Go backwards from end of document so numbering doesn’t change as we progress:
Select Document End

While Select Previous List Item    # “Previous” goes backwards.
	$selection = TextSelection.active
	$bullet = $selection.substring

	# Prevents list numbering from being re-created by paragraph style:
	Menu ‘:Format:Paragraph Style:Normal’
	Menu ‘:Format:Lists:Use None’
	Write Selection $bullet
End